It’s been a while since a lunch post appeared!
Have you ever boiled a bunch of eggs and wondered what to do with them? Easter, Labor Day, and other holidays come to mind. This egg salad is a basic recipe that substitutes the celery for green peppers and is on pumpernickel/rye swirl bread . Going with the Easter theme (only 5 months late, right?), this lunch was packed in a Miffy sandwich box with a carrot cake cupcake, some edamame, and a fruit cup.
The cupcake packed above was from my “mother-in-law”. It’s a coincidence because I made a bunch of carrot cake cupcakes too! I stopped by a local cake supply store and got some sugar carrots as decoration, but other than that, this recipe is simple and timeless.
I used the extra batter to bake mini-cupcakes. I mixed a little green food coloring and some shaved coconut to make some “easter grass”, then decorated them with jelly beans for eggs. An ice cube tray was a perfect vessel for transport.
This past April I went to my parents’ for Easter. We had some Hawai’ian bread, sweet potatoes, ham, scalloped potatoes, bacon baked beans, and corn. I’m not religious, though my parents are a bit. They know I just come for the food ^_^ I tried to propose a lamb or rabbit for Easter dinner next year but that didn’t seem to fly. It was hard enough to get them to try a different turkey last Thanksgiving!
Carrot Cake Cupcakes
By September 16, 2012Published:
- Yield: 24 cupcakes (24 Servings)
These cupcakes will make you love eating vegetables. The tangy cream cheese frosting is a great pairing. This recipe is based off of Martha Stewart's Carrot Cake, though I usually halve the recipe to yield 12 cupcakes.
- 1 pound carrots peeled & grated
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 1½ cups vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup buttermilk or substitute milk & vinegar mixture
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- cream cheese frosting
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line 2 standard muffin tins with paper liners. In a bowl, whisk together carrots, eggs, sugar, oil, buttermilk, and vanilla.
- In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. Stir flour mixture into carrot mixture until well combined.
- Divide batter among muffin cups, filling each 3/4 full. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until testers inserted into centers come out clean, 23 to 28 minutes.
- Let cool in tins on wire racks, 10 minutes. Turn out cupcakes onto wire racks, and let cool completely.
- Frost cupcakes with cream cheese frosting.
- Cuisine: Cupcakes
Jenn of Not Exactly Bento says
I had to come look when I saw the carrot cupcakes. I love carrot cupcakes. That’s a lovely looking lunch!
Thanks for the comment Jenn! Carrot makes them healthy, right? 😛
miss mochi says
Oooh I love the swirly bread with the bright yellow egg salad! Tasty!