For this month’s Secret Recipe Club, I was paired up with Turnips 2 Tangerines. After trying out some apple cider garam masala pickled beets at my local farmer’s market, I decided to tweak Lynn’s recipe for pickled beets. Thankfully I was able to find pre-cooked and peeled beets, so this recipe was even easier!
I simply subbed out the vinegar for apple cider vinegar and the spices for garam masala. I used the pickling liquid to make a simple vinaigrette (1 tablespoon pickling liquid, 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or to taste, dash salt and pepper, 1/4 teaspoon mustard).
The bitterness of the greens, saltiness of the cheese, and tang of the beets all go well together. The cider vinegar and spices keep the beets from tasting too “dirty”, but they still keep their earthiness.
I’ll have to go back to Turnips 2 Tangerines and look at the other recipes I was having trouble choosing from, including: Spicy Refrigerator Pickles, Surprise carrot cake, pear nut cake, and chocolate pecan coffee cake!
[inlinkz_linkup id=331784 mode=1 pageSize=4]
Salad with Pickled Beets & Feta Recipe
By November 25, 2013Published:
- Yield: 1 small jar (4-6 Servings)
- Prep: 5 mins
- Cook: 5 mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 10 mins
Recipe adapted from Turnips 2 Tangerines & inspired by local vendor Number 1 Sons
- 8 ounces beets cooked and peeled
- ¾ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 4½ teaspoons garam masala
- dash salt
- dash pepper
- ¼ cup water
- Steam & peel beets (I used pre-packaged beets from Trader Joe's). Slice beets and place into clean jar.
- In a saucepan combine vinegar, sugar, garam masala, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Pour mixture over beets. Allow to cool then place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Note: You can adjust the acidity to taste. I added 1/4 cup water to the jar to make it less acidic. I also decreased the amount of sugar from the original since apple cider vinegar is sweeter.
- Cuisine: Hapa
Great SRC pick! This is such a unique recipe. I love the combination.
Thanks for choosing my recipe for Pickled Beets. Hope you enjoyed them~ Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines
Lynn, they were great! I am seriously addicted to them and could eat the whole jar. (They’re healthy, right? ^_^) They go great on salad as a way to trick me into eating healthier.
Wow, never heard of that combination before! So unique.
I’m used to pickled eggplants and cucumbers, but I never made beets, and I love them! This recipe must be in my refrigerator at all times! Especially now that it’s almost summer here.
I could eat pickled beets all day! I’ve bookmarked this and can’t wait to give it a try! Awesome pick this month 🙂
That looks so good. I also love the polka dot place mat. So cute! =)
I never pickled beets, but it’s on my endless list of things to try in the future – I can imagine how well all these ingredients tasted together, great salad!
I love pickled beets and love the changes you made. I’d love to make these. This salad looks so cheerful and inviting!
I love both roasted beets and apple cider vinegar – I’ll have to try this out next time! Good pick!
Yum! LOVE beets!!!! Especially on salad.