Graduating college is a big deal! It’s tradition for me to make cupcakes or cookies for my sister’s graduation (high school, associates degree, undergraduate, and soon to be graduate!). Her schools colors are green and yellow so I opted for a “green velvet” cake and my tried and true cream cheese frosting.
Velvet cakes, I’ve found, are actually a pretty good crowd pleaser. It’s not a vanilla cake, and not quite chocolate. And these were even more awesome because I made some edible graduation caps to go on top. I was inspired by this post and used colored candy melts with my brownie bite pan and candy cup mold. And yes, I sorted out all the green colored mini M&Ms and cut the green out of strips of rainbow sour belt, but I was determined to have a super cute graduation cap and tassle!
The cupcakes were a hit and we surprised my sister at an end of the year Girl Scout event with a mini party in our hotel room.
Green Velvet Graduation Cupcakes Recipe
By March 17, 2014Published:
Cake recipe is from Bakerella
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- green food coloring until your desired color, I used gel
- Preheat oven to 350 ℉.
- Lightly stir eggs in a medium bowl with a wire whisk. Add remaining liquid ingredients and stir together with whisk until blended. Set aside.
- Place all the dry ingredients in your mixing bowl and stir together really good with another wire whisk.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix on medium-high for about a minute or until completely combined.
- Pour into muffin liners pans and then drop the pans on the counter a few times to release any air bubbles.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Once cooled, frost with cream cheese frosting. If swirling the colors, reserve half of the frosting to be colored yellow and put them into the same piping bag, side by side.
- Cuisine: Cupcakes