This chili is one of my favorite uses for rotisserie chicken whenever the local store is having a sale on it.Even though it has a lot of ingredients, it comes together very quickly once you have everything measured out.
It’s warm, spicy, and incredibly healthy. It tastes even better the next day after all of the spices have soaked into to the beans and chicken, intensifying. You could halve this recipe to yield a smaller amount, but this can be frozen for up to 3 months in an airtight container. I like to top mine with some cheese, chia seeds, or non-fat yogurt as well as the cilantro, but you can dress it up with anything!
White Bean Chicken Chili Recipe
By September 15, 2015Published:
- Yield: 8 cups (4 Servings)
Adapted from The Washington Post.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound chicken cooked, shredded
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 ribs celery diced
- 3 medium poblano peppers seeded, white ribs removed, finely diced (can replace with canned chiles)
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper seeded, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¾ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 cans white beans 15.5 ounce cans, no-salt added, drained, rinsed
- 3 cups chicken broth no-salt added
- ½ teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons lime juice fresh
- 1 teaspoon turmeric optional
- hot sauce to taste, optional
- ¼ cup non-fat greek yogurt
- cilantro for topping
- Add the oil to the pot; reduce the heat to medium, then add the onion, celery and the poblano and jalapeño peppers.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, oregano and coriander; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the white beans, broth and salt; bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pot; cook until the chicken is just warmed through.
- Stir in the lime juice, then add hot sauce to taste, depending on the heat of the poblanos and jalapeños used, which can vary widely.
- Taste, and season with salt, if needed. Top each portion with a dollop of Greek yogurt and a sprinkle of cilantro.
- Cuisine: American
[…] White Chicken Chili […]