These energy bites are super easy to whip up and are ready in about five minutes. I always have oats on hand and whenever I’m in the mood for something sweet but not too bad for you, we make these tasty “balls”.
The flax seed adds a great roasty toasty flavor, especially if you grind your own from flax seeds. If you don’t have peanut butter, you can substitute it with any other nut butter. Sometimes I like to throw in a tablespoon or two of spiced speculoos cookie butter too. Because I can’t leave anything *too* healthy.
Quick & Healthy Energy Bites Recipe
By June 18, 2014Published:
- Yield: 20 bites
- Prep: 5 mins
Recipe from Washingtonian, from Rebecca Bitzer & Associates’ registered dietitian Kait Fortunato and student intern Amy Bortnick, who were inspired by Smashed Peas and Carrots.
- 1 cup oats
- ½ cup Smooth Peanut Butter
- ¼ heaping cup honey try to get as local as possible
- ½ cup ground flaxseed
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips mini, if on-hand
- chia seeds optional
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl
- Roll into one-inch balls
- Arrange on a plate and refrigerate for at least one hour
- Enjoy! Store extras in the refrigerator
- Per-bite nutrition: 112 calories, 6 grams fat, 1.5 grams saturated fat, 12.9 grams carbohydrates, 1.6 grams fiber, 8.1 grams sugar, 2.7 grams protein.
Leave a Reply